Monday, June 18, 2012

How much are them there taters?

Yes. Them there. Taters. Words that came directly out of the mouth of an old man at a flea market.

Mike has been telling me about the huge flea market in Leitchfield. Because I am looking for old (dare I say vintage or the price increases about $25.00) jars, bottles, etc...I figured, this will be a perfect place to go. And...because I know the early bird catches the worm, I decided to get up with Mike as he left for work (which was at 5:45a.m.).

At about 6:30 a.m. I hop in the car and head out for what I know will be a successful trip to the flea market. It really does not take much for me to get excited about little things. I suppose this is a good thing, but who knows. Oh my god. Look! What's that?? Awww, how fun. An Amish buggy... filled with igloo coolers? Is that allowed? I really don't understand much about the do's and don'ts of the Amish - however, I always ask "Are they allowed to do that?" I guess igloo coolers have been deemed acceptable. Who knew.

Once I get to the flea market, I pull into the parking lot and see to my left, none other than a line of people selling chickens! I really wanted to go ask how much they were, thinking, of course that this would be a fantastic addition to my growing farm (that now only consists of some tomato, banana pepper, strawberry and onion plants) but I was a little nervous and not quite sure that chickens are something I need right now.

Can't you see them?
       
















After getting over the initial shock of people selling chickens on the side of the road, I walk over to the flea market....well - it was more like a yard sale. This amazing flea market was a bust. It was pretty much a slew of old men were walking around asking what the other was selling that broken pair of hedge clippers for, or - how much them there taters were. Feeling bad about leaving empty handed, I bought 3 ears of corn and 3 'maters. So - here I was, at 7:00...at the flea market wondering what I was going to do next. Oh well.

But, on the drive back home I did pass another Amish buggy. I wonder if I can rent one of those for a few hours at my wedding?



Picture from the front porch. Not sure what that is...but I am sure I will know soon enough





















By the way, the 'maters I bought were so good (Kristy - I will save you some so you can work towards your 35). And...I am happy to report that I have tons of my own 'maters on the way...and banana peppers too. Believe you me, this gardening thing is great. I have discovered that I am a master sprinkler operator. Except for the fact that I forget the sprinkler is even on and water the garden full blast for about an hour an a half. Ooops!


Oh yeah...honeymoon is booked! Puerta Vallarta, here we come.



1 comment:

  1. Remember when I said don't buy a chicken? I take it back. Buy a few and do this! Please!!! Also, you could eat their eggs.

    http://www.shutterbean.com/2011/mothers-day-weekend-2011/

    ReplyDelete